Sunday 11 March 2012

It's me Beata

‘Blogging is the new journaling.’ That’s a snippet that I’ve picked up here at the Island, and the reason why I decided to join the world of bloggers. Believe me; I need all the therapeutic benefit that a blog can bestow! Not only is the pressure on to produce more eggs for the Island’s marketing department and in-house kitchen with summer just around the corner, but one of the gals here in our pen is really acting weird and it is worrying me to no end!

But let me start at the beginning – I share the hen house with Christina (also known as Bossy Boots but please don’t let her hear you say that!), Henrietta (the dutiful, practical one) and little Britney. And it is Britney who has me pecking at my feathers! Once, not so long ago she managed to escape from the Island’s grounds and had to be chased down by us hens and the CEO! I watch her closely, I see the signs and I know she is wanting out again. She spends hours at a certain portion of the fence, pecking and scratching. When we were brought here from the farm, I promised her mother that I would look out for her. And now I see her disappearing into her own world more and more. I just don’t know what to do!

Christina says to leave Britney to herself – ‘She’s just the sensitive, arty type. Ignore her antics and go on.’ But I can’t help but wonder – why does she want to escape so badly? Is it the primal female urge to be pursued? Or maybe a need to seek self expression elsewhere (she does make the most beautiful scratching signs in the sand, you know)? Well, I feel better already, just voicing my concerns. I guess I’ll just keep my ears open here around the Island, the right piece of advice to help her might just come to me soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment